Insight is a Wisdom based skill.
You can discern intent and decipher body language during social interactions. You make an Insight check to comprehend motives, to read between the lines, to get a sense of moods and attitudes, and to determine how truthful someone is being. You use Insight to counter a Bluff check, and Insight is used as the social counterpart to the Perception skill. In Skill Challenges that require a number of successes, use Insight checks to oppose someone’s Bluff checks. Insight can also be used to gain clues, figure out how well you might be doing in a social situation, and to determine if someone is under the influence of an outside force. Whenever you use Insight, you’re making a best guess as to what you think a motive or attitude is or how truthful a target is being. Insight is not an exact science or a supernatural power; it represents your ability to get a sense of how a person is behaving.
- Insight: No action required when countering a Bluff check, minor action in combat, or part of a Skill Challenge. Requires some amount of interaction to get a read on a target.
- DC: See the table. If you’re trying to see through a bluff, this is an opposed check against your opponent’s Bluff check.
- Success: You counter a Bluff check, gain a clue about a social situation, sense an outside influence on someone, or recognize an effect as illusory.
- Failure: You can’t try again until circumstances change.
- Recognizing an Effect as Illusory: The DM might use your passive Insight check to determine if you notice the telltale signs of an illusion effect. Noticing such an effect doesn’t break the illusion, but you recognize the effect as illusory.
|Sense motives, attitudes||10 + creature’s level[PH:185], or moderate DC of target's level [RC:147]|
|Sense outside influence||25 + effect’s level[PH:185], or hard DC of target's level [RC:147]|
|Recognize effect as illusory||15 + effect’s level[PH:185]|
Insight utility powers
Characters trained in Insight may select a utility power in place of their class power (but not from a paragon path or epic destiny)
- Anticipate Maneuver - Level 2[PH3:171]
- Damning Secret - Level 2[Dr389]
- Calculated Acumen - Level 2[DSH:66]
- Empathic Read - Level 6[PH3:171]
- Insightful Counter - Level 6[PH3:171]
- Prescient Maneuver - Level 6[PH3:171]
- Conceal Psyche - Level 6[DSH:61]
- Insightful Comment - Level 10[PH3:171]
- Prescient Defense - Level 10[PH3:171]
- Insightful Riposte - Level 16[PH3:171]
- Despana's Stratagem - Level 16[DSH:69]